Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sensory play with Bubble and Icecream Doughs.




This morning a friend posted a link to Bubble Dough. Essentially you mix detergent and cornflour together to make an interesting non sticky sensory dough. The link also mentioned Icecream Dough- the same deal but using conditioner. The girls love a bit of play dough so we got out our ingredients, they helped mix it up and we played. 

The dough was quite a lot of fun (both detergent and conditioner produced similar sorts of results. It had the usual cornflour properties of being kind of runny when gentle pressure was applied but resistive to hard pressure. 

Addie spent much of her time rolling the dough flat. Clementine on the other hand divided hers into little clumps and piles all over her tray, the table and the floor. 

I encouraged them to try squishing it with their fingers. This lead to them moulding creatures out of their dough. Addie made a family of ducks and Clementine made a family of frogs.



Lastly they played imprinting the dough. Clementine was very excited when she made a hole in her dough by pressing with the end of her rolling pin. 

My thoughts are that as a sensory activity goes, it is a good one. The kids were involved in both making and playing with the dough. As far as the ingredients go though, I'm not a fan. I still have a weird taste of both the detergent and conditioner in my mouth. The fragrance was too concentrated for my liking and my skin feels somewhat irritated. If very much like to do it again, but I'll experiment with some other liquids. Perhaps sorbaline might give the clean effect, without the irritation and smell. I have heard of dough with just cornflour and oil too, so that's another road to explore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment